Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Arctic Blast

On Tuesday I was speaking with the folks at Mason County Public Schools, WV checking on final details for their BoardDocs training scheduled to start Wednesday. Their schools were closed Tuesday, due to snow, but as usual, administrators will come in anyway. As I wrapped up the conversation, I thought to myself, you know, I better just give them my cell number in case some weird weather thing is really going to happen tomorrow; so I did just that.

I woke up bright and early to get ready to go on Wednesday. I will not say I was bright eyed and bushy tailed as that would be a lie; I am not a morning person. At all. I came downstairs to get my coffee and noticed the message light blinking on my cell phone.

Sure enough, I had two messages from the folks at Mason County Public Schools that schools were closed Wednesday and would probably be closed Thursday. After looking at Friday's weather for that part of the country, it is a pretty good bet they'll be continuing their January vacation on Friday as well.

I was disappointed not to be going to West Virginia to do the implementation. The newest things that have been released during the beta testing process are so great! I was looking forward to wowing them with the all new BoardDocs.

Then I looked at the weather forecast for Atlanta (my home town) for Thursday and Friday. We are predicted to get snow too. This rarely ever happens here in the south, and many times its predicted but never happens. But all signs are pointing to a snow event here tomorrow. My kids can hardly stand themselves. Many school districts are closing early tomorrow as the snow is predicted to show up in the afternoon. Add that to the incredible arctic air we've been having (really it DOES get cold in Atlanta), and Friday is shaping up to be a day where nothing will melt off.

So when you look at all of the factors, I guess I just wasn't supposed to go to West Virginia this week. Had I gone, and all of the snow planets had aligned, I probably would not have been able to get home on Friday.

Believe me, I have plenty to do instead of training, like documentation and quick reference materials. But I must admit that if we get our predicted 1 to 2 inches of snow, I'll be outside with my kids enjoying a southern rarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment